Helsinki, the Nordic fintech hub fuelling innovation. Benefit from a dynamic digital ecosystem, strong cyber security, and frameworks in open source, data, and API. Explore piloting opportunities
Fintech Innovation in Helsinki
Discover Helsinki, the Nordic fintech hub fueling innovation. Benefit from a dynamic digital ecosystem, strong cyber security, and frameworks in open source, data, and API. Explore piloting opportunities and tap into the digitally-savvy Nordic population.
The fintech sector in Finland is developing fast – will you join in and take advantage of the momentum?
Why look at fintech in Helsinki?
Finland is the place to be in all things digital. It’s got everything your company needs to develop the next big innovation for the global fintech market. Investors, on the other hand, will find exciting deal opportunities in the multitude of inventions.
The framework for tech innovations in Helsinki builds on the foundations of ICT & mobile technology. Fresh outlooks, on the other hand, flow in the vibrant startup scene. Fintech companies benefit especially from the steady business environment, extensive mobile device know-how, Europe’s strongest cyber security cluster, and frameworks in open source, data and API. Moreover, finding piloting opportunities and customers is easy in a country of digital-savvy population and where the public sector actively collaborates in testing out novel innovations.
Newcomers will not be left alone. We at Helsinki Partners actively participate in developing the fintech sector, and we help international companies and investors find the best business opportunities in Helsinki. Leave us a message, and we can start discussing your needs for funding, talent, partnerships, and R&D opportunities. All our services are free of charge.
Within fintech, we’re especially focused on
- Financial services benefit from the country’s core expertise in encryption, data privacy, threat prevention, and identity management solutions.
- Finland is the world leader in the share of electronic payments and it has a pioneering role in electronic invoicing (eInvoice).
- The community of over two hundred fintech companies in Finland and Helsinki is strong and tight.
- The complementary capabilities – service design, gamification, VR, etc. – in the community attract new players to the field.
- Finland ranks #1 in Europe in attracting VC investments (adjusted to GDP).
- High-quality open data is a tradition in Finland, and AI solutions take advantage of this perk.
- Development is supported by the diverse and growing know-how and cyber security in research and private sector.
- The seamless collaboration between companies, research institutes, and society promotes innovation. Many initiatives combine the expertise, objectives, and impact of the public and private sectors.
- Finland performs excellently even in international comparisons of AI expertise, especially in the health care sector.
In Finland, blockchain solutions are popular in healthcare, the financial sector, and the everyday functionalities of company databases.
- RPA has been widely piloted in public healthcare in Finland.
- RPA startups are forming partnerships and attracting investments from foreign companies.
- The Finnish Government has identified the need for accelerated growth in utilising and developing robotics and automation, directing funding and other resources into those fields.
- Supported by strong ICT and research background, we have competitive companies across all parts of the Big Data value chain, from data mining, integration, and management to analytics and applications.
- These companies provide advanced predictive modeling, prescriptive analytics, machine learning tools, and sophisticated visualization methods.
- Analytics capabilities extend to numerous industries, including manufacturing, energy, health and wellness, and the telecom sector.
Certain clusters have become established within the Finnish cyber security scene.
- Secure e-banking and e-payment solutions and infrastructure.
- Vulnerability analyses and compliance testing.
- Security for standard web usage: authentication, access passwords management, and online reputation monitoring of web shops.
- Virus protection, cryptography, vulnerability assessment, consulting, and mobile information security.
Overview of the fintech ecosystem
The strong sectors in Finland include financing, payments, data and analytics, financial software, blockchain, API’s and platforms, security and compliance, insurtech, cryptocurrencies, investing, wealth management, customer service and acquisition.
Key success factors
1. Fintech landscape
A critical mass of companies with strong and complementary capabilities. The stronger the community, the more attractive it is for newcomers.
2. Access to capital
Capital is available at every stage of a company, be it establishing a businesses or fueling its growth: grants; seed, venture and growth capital; buyouts; and loans.
3. Access to talent
Companies have access to academia, research institutions, and highly-skilled workforce with expertise in e.g. technology, commerce, industry, regulation, and business transformation
4. Collaboration: Fintech industry
Fintech companies actively collaborate to drive and discuss topics essential to the industry, such as networking, branding, communication, business development support, and promotion of industry interests.
5. Collaboration: Business partners
Industry incumbents in fintech and BigTech collaborate with end-users to drive commercialization.
6. Regulatory environment
A competitive regulatory framework has been set in the industry. The supportive and proactive regulator reduces the commercial risk, decreases time to market, and promotes investments.
Contact Helsinki Partners
If you are interested in learning more about Helsinki and its possibilities – please contact us via the form here. We’ll make sure to get back to you within a few working days.